How I create a New Year to look forward to
Happy New Year!
I wanted to share a New Year ritual that I have that helps me to ‘draw a line’ under the old year just passed. I like to take down my old wall calendar and look at my paper planner (I am old school, I like to have a diary that I can write on!) However this works equally well with digital planners.
I like to take some time, over a cup of tea, and reflect on all the things that happened, good and bad, in the year just gone.
There are two things that always surprise me.
- How much I have forgotten about the year.
- How much wisdom the year gave me (especially when dealing with challenges)
Doing an end of year review is simple, all you need are these five questions.
- What did I enjoy the most? When did I feel most alive?
- What was the most difficult?
- When did I learn important life lessons? (Sometimes hindsight is a wonderful thing)
- What am I grateful for? What blessings do I have in my life?
- If I could have done anything differently – what would that be? (this is not to beat yourself up over, this is a reflective question – show yourself some compassion)
The impact these questions have are transformative!
When you divide your year into the people, experiences and commitments that trigger positive or negative feelings, energy or emotions, the path forward is very clear.
STOP DOING the things and spending time with people that trigger negative feelings and energy in your life.
START DOING more things and being with people that trigger positive feelings and energy instead.
AND BY START DOING, THAT MEANS TODAY. Plan something, put something in the calendar. Make commitments in 2023 that you can look forward to. Plan in some time for rest and relaxation - whatever it is that you need- plan it in.
Be honest with yourself. Ask these five questions and it will tell you the truth about what makes you happy.
I hope these questions lead you to creating one of the best years of your life!
As always I am always here for you,
I'd love to send you a free gift - from my heart to your heart - click below to get my book, Confidence after Cancer: