50 Ways to Lift Your Mood
Feeling down during the winter months is a common experience for many people and is often associated with a condition known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). For many others it's not so much a condition, more of a feeling that life can be hard, and lacking enjoyment.
Changing our habits and lifting ourselves up might seem appealing, but lack of energy and motivation can make that seem difficult.
When I work with clients who struggle to motivate themselves, I would never tell them what they 'should' or 'shouldn't' do.
However this is a list I can invite you to pick and choose from - no matter how down you may be feeling, I'm sure that you can find something in this list that you could try, and that would bring some much needed joy into your life.
- Listen to your favourite music. – find or create a playlist of songs you love
- Take a walk in nature - getting outside for 30 mins has so many health benefits
- Practice deep breathing exercises.
- Exercise or engage in physical activity - there is so much YouTube – yoga, pilates and more high intensity, depending on what you enjoy
- Watch a funny movie or TV show.
- Connect with a friend or loved one.
- Practice mindfulness or meditation.
- Write in a gratitude journal.
- Engage in a creative activity, like drawing or writing.
- Read a book that brings you joy.
- Take a break from technology, a digital detox can do you the world of good.
- Do something kind for someone else.
- Spend time with pets.
- Try a new hobby or activity.
- Get a good night's sleep - fresh bedding and a lavender pillow spray works for me
- Cook or bake a favourite recipe.
- Take a warm bath or shower.
- Watch a sunset or sunrise.
- Plan a future trip or adventure.
- Declutter and organize your space.
- Dance to your favourite music.
- Practice positive affirmations.
- Volunteer for a cause you care about.
- Spend time in natural sunlight.
- Learn something new.
- Treat yourself to a favourite treat or snack.
- Do a random act of kindness.
- Practice yoga.
- Unfollow negative people on social media
- Play a board game or card game.
- Visit a museum or art gallery.
- Take a nap.
- Attend a live performance or concert.
- Watch a motivational TED talk.
- Engage in a puzzle or brain teaser.
- Reflect on past achievements.
- Plan a self-care day.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Practice progressive muscle relaxation.
- Write down your goals and aspirations.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Try aromatherapy with essential oils.
- Do a digital detox.
- Laugh – watch a comedy special or stand-up.
- Plant flowers or herbs.
- Watch cute animal videos.
- Connect with your spiritual side.
- Create a vision board - I love this and look at mine every day
- Attend a laughter yoga class.
- Embrace the power of positive thinking.
Remember, everyone is different, so it's essential to find what works best for you. Experiment with different activities and routines to discover what brings you the most joy and helps lift your mood.
The most important thing to remember when you feeling low is to be very kind to yourself - your self care is paramount at times like this. Treat yourself like you would a sick child - nurturing and loving - yes you are allowed to be loving to yourself.
And if you need someone to talk to - I'm here for you , contact me if you would like to work with me, I'm here for you